Wednesday, January 25, 2012

To taste you tasting me. Mmmmm.

Every time I think that this musical couldn't get any better, it does. Cry Baby is insanely wacky. And I fuh-reakin' love it.
Now, Cry Baby is set in 1954. And Scott keeps reminding us of Cry Baby's musical genre feud. It's originally set in 1954, duh. So, it's over-the-top musical comedy jokes here and there constantly. But there are also the grungy bad-ass kids creating all kinds of raucous. So we're stuck in the middle somewhere between old school musical comedy and hip-swingin' Rockabilly musical style. I get it. I do. And it's really easy for me right now because my character is WAY more on the musical comedy side than she would like to be. Anyways, I don't explain Scott's theory on neomusicals very well at all. I don't explain anything very well, and yet I have a blog. But my point is, I don't have a very firm grasp on Cry Baby's musical-genre-fusion. So I decided to do a little researching of my own. Nineteen fifty-four, let's time warp...
Thus! I researched 1954, and by that I mean I found some sound clips on Youtube that I think can really compare to the sensational and emotional bits between Cry Baby and Allison Lenora.
In 1954, Hank Ballard and the Midnighters topped charts with "Work with me, Annie." Take a listen. Pretend this is Wade serenading me (Lenora, not Terrie. Well, I'd be okay with it too but just for right now we're pretending this research is for Cry Baby and Lenora only).



In the 1950 and 60's, a trend deemed as "answer" songs became quite popular again; these nifty creations formed somewhere in the 30's with the Blues era. Which I think are really cool! An answer song is a song that is written in response to a previous song by a previous artist. This is a perfect example...Cry Baby plays "Work with me, Annie," on the radio for his one and only, Lenora. In response to CB's dedication, Lenora plays this on the radio: "Roll with me, Henry."



You get the gist. I hope. It's really not a hard concept.
Just for fun, I've thought of the songs with answers in our neomusical Cry BaBy.
1)Anti-Polio Picnic
answer: Nothing Bad's Ever Gonna Happen Again
2)Watch Your Ass
answer: Can't Beat the System
3)Baby Baby Baby
answer: Do That Again
4)Nobody Gets Me
answer: Screw Loose
5)A Whole Lot Worse
answer: I Did Something Wrong Once

Not factual. Only the opinions of a subtle loon. Once you actually get to see these songs in action, then my subjective list will make a little more sense.


Whew, I'm really glad I got that off of my chest!

Back to our show in progress. We've finished blocking all of Act I! Hurrah! And we've got the choreography down for most of our group numbers. (I think.) "Nothing Bad's Ever Gonna Happen Again" is crazy talk. Literally. That dance is so cool, but it is so fast. It's so hard to think that like 17 pages of the same lyrics over and over condenses into a 2 minute dance fiasco! Robin's choreography is so much fun all of the time. She challenges us, no doubt. But the end results are always as delicious as an apple martini. If you like apples, of course. Really. Apples have plenty of health benefits. Eat them.
I haven't seen all of the dances yet. Like, "I'm just a Little Upset," is apparently awesome opossum! But I have yet to see our men perform the task at hand. I'm squirmy to see it. And once we start blocking Act II, I can finally witness this saweet dance break.

Last night we blocked "Girl, can I Kiss you with Tongue." And well, I definitely got some tongue action. I, Lenora, have been paired with Turkey Point's hottest MC, Dupree. That's right: I get to have my first integrated makeout sesh!I mean, I always dreamed of smooching Lil' Bow Wow in the 6th grade. But now it's for real. Not only do I get to tongue a black man, I get to tongue a black Jewish man. (which he likes to refer to as being Blew; black and Jewish).
So, ya know..we're sitting there last night behind our bush pretending to sing and slobber on each other..no big deal. When all of a sudden, I feel the warmth of a big pink muscle on my neck. Dupree is already gettin' up on this and it's not dress rehearsal yet! I must say...Lenora is so okay with chocolate malts too. And so am I. Just as long as they put the malt in there, or else it's just a plain chocolate shake..not a malt. Yeah, yeah. You know.
What you really need to know prior to coming to see Cry Baby at New Line is this:
I may convert to Judaism if Dupree keeps licking me like that every night.


I'm signing off with one last song from 1954. Sh-Boom! by The Crew Cuts is my dedication to our entire cast, whom I love like you can't even believe.

1 comment: