Saturday, February 11, 2012

I'm guessing you and Evelyn worked things out?

A little less than 3 weeks from now Lenora will have completed her mission: taking over my soul. And Cry Baby's. Maybe.
I always try to make the characters I portray my own. I don't want to do what another actor did for that character in another production; I want my characters to be completely original. And Lenora is nothing but original.
Lenora and I were getting along peachy keen...until about a week ago. I was waiting for this moment. The moment when I can't find her somewhere in what I'm doing onstage. First Act, I have Lenora down like the back of my hand. Second Act, though...we're struggling to see eye to eye sometimes. It's nothing that she's doing. It's all me. I've been distracted. With my life outside the theatre. WHICH! I know, I've been a bad actor because of this..but I haven't been "leaving it at the door," when I come to rehearsal. I was always taught that no matter what happened during your day, once you get onto that stage you better forget about it. Never bring it into your performance. And I have been.
Dag nammit.
With that being said, I'm also a huge critic..towards myself. So on days where I can't muster up energy that I find to be performance worthy, I get pretty angry at myself. Which is silly, I know. But that's just the good ol' perfectionist in Terrie talkin'.
I've been a little under the weather this past week, and I feel like I've let Lenora down. And when I'm not proud of what I'm doing, I don't really talk about it. Which...is sorta why I haven't blogged in a couple of weeks.

But I've shaken it all out! I'm feeling much healthier and I've regained my stamina. We also just had our "fix-it" night at rehearsal on Thursday and I'm feeling much more confident in areas that I was struggling previously. So I can go on enticing you with my crazy eyes now that I'm back to my Lenora self.

So in celebration of getting my crazy back, I've constructed a list (as usual) of things that I'm really happy with about Lenora:
1) she is so devoted to whatever she is doing; nothing is half-ass with Lenora
2) Lenora has serious rhythm. If I wasn't the one dancing for her, I'd really wanna be in on those sweet moves. Especially the little jig she does in Jukebox Jamboree.
3) Lenora is a lover, not a fighter. She never tries "getting back" at anyone. Even though everyone is against her it seems. And though it may seem like she's sabotaging Allison and CB's connection, she's really just trying to prove to Cry Baby that she's the one he loves more. Not Allison. That damn devotion again.
4) she has the most fluent awkwardness I've ever given a character. Cesario and Lenora have very similar quirks, but Lenora's craziness is almost graceful. Or at least in her mind. And no one in their right mind would ever tell her otherwise.
5) she's all for integration! eh, Dupree? :)
6) Lenora is so passionate about her fantasy of her and Cry Baby finally being together. I have never met someone so in love.
7) she likes bad boys.
8) Lenora is into ant farms and space zombies. She is no Square or Drape for darn sure. But she is such a nerd. And I love nerds.
9) I think Lenora may be a savant.
10) "All is not lost" in Lenora's world. She never ever gives up. She just changes her perspective to better suit her needs. And I absolutely love that about her. In the end, she still gets what she wants. She's misunderstood, but Lenora is a pretty cool chick. I'm so glad to have met her.


This show is kickin', friends. We are having such a great time bringing this production to life! Oh, and I finally got to witness "I'm a Little Upset." Freakin' sweet. Our boys are smokin'! I'm really glad I don't have to sweat like that in this show, but wow. This choreography is totally awesome! I'm so excited with where we're taking Cry Baby. It's only going to get even more fun and I'm so pumped about it!


That's about it for now, my devoted readers (aka Scott and my mom). I promise I'll write to you more often. Here's a little tid bit first, before I go. Scott Miller posted a blog the other day talking about how our characters have come to life. And how great we are. It's always very endearing to get compliments from your director. I felt pretty groovy after reading his comments. Thanks, Scott! Also, last night I had a pub crawl promoting my sketch comedy Bye Bye Liver. One of the girls that I "replaced" in the cast came out to drink with us and we got to talking. She kept going on and on how happy she was that I was the one that took over. She missed being in the show, but she's so thankful that they chose someone as good as me to be a part of the cast. And she kept saying how funny I was. On and off stage. :)
All these happy feelings came back to me last night, after reading Scott's blog and talking to Kate with a beer in hand. Sometimes it's really hard to leave our problems at the door when we get to rehearsal. And sometimes it's easy to forget that you are appreciated even when you're feeling low. I live for my performance. And I really want to make my audience happy. Needless to say, I'm feeling loved right now. Not just as Terrie Lenora, but as an actor. It feels good, my friends. It feels really good.

<3<3<3




1 comment: