Wednesday, June 1, 2011

If you like me kiss me, don't stop.

Okay. This needs to be said before anything else: the cast of bare is insanely fun! Seriously, I don't think I have ever had so many connections with so many of my cast mates before. We are a ridiculous bunch, whether we have been drinking or not. ;) you know what I mean, boys and girls of bare!

I actually want to blog about the cast today. Because I think alot of us have gotten pretty close these past few weeks, and it really adds to the show's realness I think. Who knew that some pizza and King's cup is all we needed to really loosen up. :))

I love that theatre is such a social event sometimes. Not to Scott's liking because of how vociferous we become occasionally, lol. But because of how close you get to the people in your cast. Especially in a show like this, where we're all high schoolers that have grown up together. We have to recreate those background relationships with people we've only known in reality for a couple of months. Which is probably the easiest part of the job for me. I make friends pretty fast, and I usually keep those friendships alive for a very long time. It's amazing to me how I can make friendships last a lifetime, but I can't keep a real relationship with a man last for more than a few months. Whatevs. Some of us are just born to be free, eh? :)
My point is, our fake high school relationships have evolved into real-time friendships. And I couldn't be more excited to have all of these wonderful young adults a part of my life now.

So now we've got St. Cecilia's clicks arranged just right:

Ivy, Tanya, and Kyra---total mean girl club. We're the ultimate bitches of the school, you mess with us and we'll kill you...or have sex with you. We get to choose.

Matt and Nadia---outcasted for no apparent reason other than being goodie-too shoos and maybe not meeting up to the "cool" standards because of their looks or grade point average. Matt has some seriously awkward social skills.

Jason and Peter---apparent "besties" our whole lives. Jason, the over-achiever and total smokin' hottie that doesn't want any of us girls. Peter, the peace-keeper. Everyone is friends with Peter! He's the only one that tries to keep everyone happy. And of course, to keep Nadia and Ivy from murdering each other.

Alan, Rory, and Zach---typical high schoolers. Zach is a total douche, even to his totally hott girl Kyra. Rory is the quirky loner, but freakin' hott and untouchable! Alan, in my opinion, is a total ladies man. He's got brains and looks.

Lucas---stoner, drug-dealer, friends with everyone because he's clearly got all the goods. Alcohol, X, and of course, an endless amount of condoms. Haha, I guess he thinks he's getting lucky with my girl Tanya :)

Diane Lee---nerd all the way! Probably the only one actually following the Catholic teachings and is totally prude. Hahaha, she really tries though! She's trying to find her way just like the rest of us. And just because she isn't gay, and doesn't do drugs and doesn't have sex she's still trying to find her place. She's still trying to be accepted.

It's really interesting to me that most of us are alarmingly like our characters. In one way or another.

Now the reality clicks? Well, there really aren't any. There's alot of Webster students that have known each other for a while. And then there's several of us New Liners that have been together for a few shows now. But I really think we all mesh perfectly. There's no tension, there's jokes flying every direction, and someone is walking into rehearsal everyday with a person they haven't arrived with before. I really feel good with these people. I really love them all. Which makes it more difficult to be mean to all of them in the show!

We are all such unique individuals. We are all so different and yet so much alike. Put these real relationships onto the stage of bare, and you're in for a treat.

I think I've finally nailed Ivy. Hehe, not literally. After some counsel with Scott, her and I stopped arguing finally. I, of course, had to give in to her (like most people do). Once I took myself out of the equation, it was so much easier to really get into character. Now that Ivy is a total rockin' mean girl, I've been able to let a little bit of myself slip into her softer moments. Which I always appreciate a role that I can somehow incorporate my own traits into, if it's appropriate of course.
I still haven't figured out why tech rehearsal was my breaking point; where I finally released Ivy's inner rockstar. I guess I was having a hard time up until then because I thought if I was melodramatic, that I'd be too over the top. Apparently not! It's exactly what my character creation was missing. Like Scott keeps reminding us, this is an opera. It may be a pop-opera, but nonetheless it needs to be big! I can't even describe to you how awesome it is to rock this way. It's really cool, man.

We're here. We preview tomorrow night! This is the point of no return, officially. It's nerve-wracking, it's terrifying, it's exciting, it's exhilarating, and it's time to rock-out!

I think I'm most excited about sending the message of love and acceptance to our audiences. Yes, Jason's struggle is being gay and being accepted in his family and social role, etc. But there are so many of us, who have no social restraints but still struggle with being accepted. There is nothing worse than to think that you are unloved; to have no one understand. There are plenty of straight men and women who are also hoping to be accepted by their families. Either because they don't follow the same religious views, or because they had a baby out of wedlock, or just because they've always been in the shadows of other siblings. There are all sorts of dysfunctional families, where children aren't treated/praised equally. Gay teens are certainly overwhelmed with judgement and hatred from our society. But bare contributes to anyone facing judgement from any social reform. It's a really powerful message, if you want to hear it. This show open your hearts and minds to something different, and you'll be able to relate to the subject matter. There is always a way out or your torment. You can be happy, whether the world gives you permission or not.

If you don't know me or my cast mates, here's a link so you can match our faces with our blogs. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=16w70jJiyvk


<3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment