Friday, June 17, 2011

Totally Fu....wait, wrong show..

I don't know why everyone keeps comparing bare to Spring Awakening. I admit, I used to when I first heard the music last year. But after reading the script and doing my own personal character analysis, I'm having a hard time seeing the resemblance. I love Spring Awakening, and I love bare. But they are 2 very different musicals, with all-together totally different messages. I think the real similarities are teen pregnancy, poppish show-tunes, suicide, and parental disapproval. Other than that, I think bare is far deeper and much more pertinent to today's society than Spring Awakening. Their message would've hit home maybe like 300 years ago! Haha, okay that's a bit melodramatic. But really...we had a review from KDHX today that compared bare to Spring, and honestly, it kinda irked me a little bit. Not the review, just the comparison of the 2 musicals.
I guess my thinking is this: 2 story lines may be completely parallel, but they way they are both performed and executed can be completely opposite. Take for instance a movie like...Tombstone and Wild Earp. Or Antz and A Bug's Life. Or Dancing with Wolves and Avatar. Premise of all of these movies are perfectly alike. However, all movies made a different impact on us when we saw them. The actors moved us differently, the CGI effects made us ooh and aww louder and longer, the jokes were delivered just right each time and overall made us feel completely different---even though, the 2 story lines were strikingly similar and were products of each other.
It's sort of like music too! One dance song sounds just like another when I'm at the club, but each song (no matter how similar they be) stir a different sensation in my dancing feet.

My point: bare and Spring Awakening may indeed be alike in some areas. But they are so different. And each production has great value and great messages to be told.

But if I had to choose, bare of course is better. :) I'm also a little bias now, though.

I am filled with such a sense of fulfillment when our audience members tell us how deeply we moved them. I live and breathe to please my audience. I believe in the story I'm relaying. And I want nothing more than to touch your hearts and minds during a performance. Whether I'm dressed as a ridiculously tiny man Cesario or whether I'm in purple spankies and a cut off t-shirt as the high school bad girl. Theatre has brought such meaning to my life. More so than anything else I've ever experienced. Gotta love those fine arts!

We've got 5 performances left..only 5 :( I'm really going to miss this show and my spectacular fun-filled cast and crew. I only wish that I could continue to spread our message every weekend this summer. I guess that's really the only sad part about our jobs as actors---the show ends at some point. Often too early for our liking.

Bare: the pop-opera. The most important production on my resume.


True Blood season 4 beginning June 26th will be the next highlight of my saucy summer! GaHHHH!!! I love my life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment