Saturday, February 19, 2011

to plead for love deserves more fee than hate.

Alright, Lucetta. You cynical bitch, you. You had better start working with me or I'm going to smack your face. Okay, okay, okay..so it's not your fault per say. One day, I think I've got this down. And then the next..it's gone! Lucetta is starting to experience multiple-personality disorder. And she'd better get on some psych meds soon, because opening night is 12 days! :/
I need to be meaner. I need to be more of a teenager. I need to be consistent. I need to focus.....I need a drink.
Lucetta, I know we aren't that complicated. Now just work with me, lady!

The thing I am most gracious for in theatre is this. When you hit a rough spot and can't seem to get something right on stage, you think it is far too late to fix it and everyone will smell your crap from off stage. And then the production goes up, and you think "Oh, goodness. I'm about to blow up in flames." But suddenly, somewhere-somehow-someway, you put on this spectacular performance that you didn't think was going to happen. Muscle memory kicks in, and you stop thinking so hard. Lucetta, my bitchy egotistical twin...the theatre gods better have us in mind. Starting NOW!
Evita, for instance...we were not Latino enough for the longest time. We felt like we were being ridiculous, but it just wasn't coming through. Then, suddenly, out of no where! we were the sauciest, baddest, hottest Argentines the likes of this stage had ever seen. I have faith. Lucetta will arrive.
(if you tell yourself something over and over, it eventually becomes true.)


I auditioned for 55 theatres yesterday at freaking Midwestern theatre auditions.
Not a single call-back.
What did I gain? A day off of work.
What did I lose? Dignity.
Nothing a cold beer and a wonder wienie from the hot dog man can't fix.
I guess this is just destiny telling me it's time to start my band, Lucetta and the Betrayers. Time to buy that accordion patiently lurking in my shopping bag on Amazon.com and just do the darn thing already.



55 theatres...

No comments:

Post a Comment